Monday, August 17, 2026

Why I Keep Returning to Oregon’s Working Harbors

There is something special about an Oregon Coast harbor before the day becomes busy.

The fishing boats rest against the docks, gulls circle overhead, and the water reflects pieces of the sky, weathered buildings, rigging, and colorful hulls. Even when the harbor appears quiet, you can sense the hard work and history behind every vessel.

Living in Newport has given me many opportunities to photograph the working waterfront. I am especially drawn to commercial fishing boats because each one has its own personality. Boats such as My Lee, Evolution, Little J, The Griffin, and Sea Breeze are more than interesting subjects. Their worn paint, nets, equipment, and sturdy shapes tell stories about life along the Oregon Coast.

When I create fishing boat artwork, I often begin with one of my original photographs. I may then adjust the color, light, texture, sky, or surrounding scenery to bring out the mood I experienced when I first saw the boat.

Sometimes I create a realistic harbor scene. Other times, I place the vessel beside an old fish cannery, rustic chowder house, or weathered dock. These additions allow me to celebrate both the boat and the disappearing character of historic waterfront communities.

Commercial fishing boats also make distinctive nautical wall art. Unlike a peaceful sailboat scene, a working vessel brings strength, authenticity, and a little adventure into a living room, office, den, beach house, or coastal home.

Perhaps that is why I keep returning to the harbor. There is always another boat, another changing sky, and another story waiting along the docks.




You can explore more of my Oregon Coast fishing boat and nautical artwork through my online gallery.

My Online Gallery At Pixels


All Rights Reserved My Oregon Photography Blog, Thom Zehrfeld, Copyrighted 2026-2027. Also, please see bottom of page for Product Disclosure and Privacy Disclosure! Thank You!






No comments:

Post a Comment